Monday, February 18, 2013
Reflection #5: Importance
For this, I thought it would be a good time to connect with one of my best friends from high school again. Throughout the past few years, we had a falling out due to me being away at school, not talking as much and just a bunch of petty things. Upon hearing about this blog in class, I knew who I was going to call. I decided to call Shell on Saturday night when I knew she would be home. I could tell when she answered the phone she was worried, not knowing what I was calling for. I explained that I was in a reflections course where we had to tell someone how much they mean to us and how we appreciate them. Instead of waiting for a response, I just went right into telling her how much I appreciated her friendship over the years and how much she has done for me. I didn't know how far I was supposed to go into this conversation, seeing that, I probably would have rather done most of the talking face to face. I decided to include things that I knew she probably didn't remember, like all the pep talks we had before softball games, or all the notes we used to pass during high school. Her reaction was something I was not expecting, frankly, I was expecting her to just be like okay, yeah, we'll hang out when you get home and all this other stuff. Instead, after I was done with my talking, I could hear a faint cry on the other side. This was something I was not expecting, and if you know me, I am not one to 1. Express my feelings and 2. Console someone who is crying. I am horrible at it, and being my best friend from 8th grade till the beginning of college, she knew that. Calling Shell was someone thing I never thought I could bring myself to do, we have tried talking things out every so often, but it ends in the same place, we say sorry, say we'll hang out and then it never happens. This time it was something different though, maybe it was me being more open about my feelings and letting her know how I feel or just because we both were having a bad week. Either way, I am glad I got the opportunity to call her and tell her how much she has meant to be over the years. It truly is the little things in life that make you happy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I've had relationships like that, where you go separate ways either literally or figuratively. It's certainly unfortunate, but that's life sometimes I guess. Yet, it's cool that she reacted more pleasantly that you had thought.
ReplyDeleteI thought the reaction of your friend was neat. A lot of times it is hard to know how other people feel. Not only was this a liberating experience for you it obviously meant something to her. You have to enjoy the little things.
ReplyDelete